Welcome to the Muggles Market Spotlight for 2018! Today, we are delighted to announce the addition of new artisan The Celtic Crafter to our third annual Muggles Market at this year’s Geek Gala. Hugh Wallace (aka Topper, aka Kilted Security, aka Nacho Daddy) took a few minutes to answer some questions about his business and general geekery.
- What kinds of items will you be selling at this year’s Muggles Market?
I make Solar Lights made from re-purposed items such as chandeliers, old lights, etc.
- How did you first get started making these things?
I was off of work after rotator cuff surgery in April of 2017. To keep myself busy I bought a small chandelier from the Restore in Rock Hill, and decided to strip it and turn it into a solar light for our back yard. My girlfriend, Emily Kramer of Emily Kramer Designs, told me I should make those to sell because you can’t find them very easily. The rest is it crafter history…
- What has been one of your favorite projects to work on?
So far it was just a simple light that I made for our elderly neighbors, Joe and Pat, who loved it so much they had a local metal shop make a special hook to hang it from their tree.
- What else can you tell us about yourself?
I am originally from the Chicago area, so I do have a slight accent.
I am a huge fan of karaoke. Any time I can find a place I try to go. Chicago Bears/Cubs are in my blood. I love re-purposing things, and anything I can build with my hands. I’ve lived a pretty interesting life.
- So this year’s Geek Gala theme is “Gears and Ghouls”, and focuses on steampunk and day of the dead cosplay. If you could have one body part cybernetically enhanced or replaced, what would you choose, how would you want it changed, and why?
My pinky toe. I would want it to be solid and impervious to pain because nothing brings this big man down faster than stubbing his toe.
- Check out their website at: The Celtic Crafter
And make plans to come visit them on Saturday, November 3 at this year’s Geek Gala