Welcome to the Muggles Market Spotlight for 2019! Today, we are delighted to announce returning artisan Pretty Clever Words for our fifth Muggles Market at this year’s Geek Gala! Laura Kasperlik took a few minutes to answer some questions about her business and general geekery. Laura says she was “Born and raised in the Mitten State, and have lived in the Raleigh NC area for over 13 years…where allegedly.. there is no snow. hmmmm….” .
- What kinds of items will you be selling at this year’s Muggles Market? I primarily sell words. I hand-make pretty things with clever words, such as wooden pointy finger signs and custom vintage-style felt pennants. I love making word art with hoops, and painting motivational truths on stretched canvas and wood panels as well. My customers still love the totes, shirts, zip bags, and prints. I try to be inspirational but most often veer off into sarcasm.
- Which sci fi universe would you love to visit and why? Well, whether it’s truly considered a sci-fi universe or not, clearly I wish I’d attended Ilvermorny 😉 …but who wouldn’t love to be a part of Marvel’s cinematic universe and visit Wakanda?
- What is your primary fandom? I will always and forever, believe in magic and all the worlds of Harry, Hermione, and Ron – although I did recently watch 12 Marvel Universe movies in 6 days to catch up with all the other Marvel fans…so there’s that.
- What movie are you looking forward to? More a series, I am looking forward to HBO’s take on The Watchmen.
- This year’s Geek Gala theme is Geeky Tiki Slumber Party-o-Rama. With whom would you love to have a slumber party (fictional, real, living or dead)? Obviously, historically bad-ass women such as Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Kat Gunn, the Mirabal sisters, Katharine Switzer, and Megan Rapinoe.
Check out their website at: Pretty Clever Words .
And make plans to come visit them on Saturday, November 2 at this year’s Geek Gala!