Welcome to the Muggles Market Spotlight for 2018! Today, we are delighted to announce the addition of new artisan Happy Unicorn Studio to our third annual Muggles Market at this year’s Geek Gala. Erika Martinez took a few minutes to answer some questions about her business and general geekery.
- What kinds of items will you be selling at this year’s Muggles Market?
I will be bringing handcrafted fabric handbags, purses, tote bags, and accessories.
- How did you first get started making these things?
I started making handbags because I found that many commercially produced bags lacked the features I was looking for. I make my bags to be eye-catching, functional and lightweight. I also make sure to add lots of pockets! Being a comic and fantasy fan myself, I love working with the fabric for this variety of fandoms.
- What has been one of your favorite projects to work on?
I enjoy working on custom orders. It is gratifying to use my bag styles and fabric choices to help make a customer’s vision come to life.
- What else can you tell us about yourself?
I am excited to be part of this event this year and to bring my work to the Charlotte area!
- So this year’s Geek Gala theme is “Gears and Ghouls” and focuses on steampunk and day of the dead cosplay. If you could have one body part cybernetically enhanced or replaced, what would you choose, how would you want it changed, and why?
It would be my right hand/arm. It is my dominant hand and I have some injuries due to repetitive use. It would be great to be able to create and work with no limitations.
- Check out their website at: Happy Unicorn Studio
And make plans to come visit them on Saturday, November 3, 2018 at this year’s Geek Gala