Welcome to the Muggles Market Spotlight for 2019! Today, we are delighted to announce new artisan 3 Waters Atelier for our fifth Muggles Market at this year’s Geek Gala! Tamara Irby took a few minutes to answer some questions about her business and general geekery. She describes herself as “a purveyor of affects that reflect fandom.” Originally from Brooklyn, New York she now resides in North Carolina.
- What kinds of items will you be selling at this year’s Muggles Market? So, if you happen upon me in the marketplace, feel free to ask me anything you like. I hope it will be about my upcycled shirts. I enjoy deconstructive/reconstructive sewing. In addition to my Fan fabric inserted shirts, I make small items such as: aprons, travel bags, pocketsquares, and hats. All things fibers related, I enjoy manipulating. I also dabble in beading, and wordsmithing. However, as this is my first time at the Muggle’s Market I will only be showing my sewn wares.
- Which sci fi universe would you love to visit and why? The SciFi verse i would want to visit is Farscape. Hinson Productions created such an extraordinary, albeit dystopic universe. Amazing how so many different people shared the same goal: to survive against an oppressive regime. Ground level thinking, I Just want to be like Pilot, sailing though the stars on a living ship.
- What is your primary fandom? I have a healthy respect for most fandom. Scifi is my jam. You could say I’m a cradle Trekkie. My true love is Frank Herbert’s Dune. I love the 1984 movie version so much I refuse to read the book. Despite the fact that I whole heart believe ‘the book is always better’, this is my exception to the rule.
- What movie are you looking forward to? Right now, I am looking forward to seeing Dark Phoenix. I didn’t like Jean Gray til this arc in her story. I think she is the epitome of what happens when you suppress yourself too much and too long. Sometimes you have to let go and party like you don’t care.
- This year’s Geek Gala theme is Geeky Tiki Slumber Party-o-Rama. With whom would you love to have a slumber party (fictional, real, living or dead)? I would bring Bob Marley, Prince, Idris Elba, Paul Wesley (think he would make a good drinking buddy), Kat Graham, Rihanna Kubo, Coco, and Captain Morgan. That combo should be a good mix, to make for an intermittently chill, yet hype party with good drinks for all .
Check out their website at: 3 Waters Atelier !
And make plans to come visit them on Saturday, November 2 at this year’s Geek Gala!