Welcome to Muggles Market Monday! Each week we are spotlighting one of the artisans scheduled to appear at our brand new Muggles’ Market at this year’s Geek Gala. This week’s featured artisan is Avant Garland. Garland West took a few minutes to answer some questions about her business and general geekery.
- What kind of items will you be selling at this year’s Muggles Market? I will be selling my Fun and colorful lasercut accessories and jewelry for the discerning toddler chic fashionista (and other cool adults).
- How did you first get started making these things?
At a job there was a pro lasercutting machine on site that I was able to play with a few times. It was love at first fire. I knew then that this was the thing I wanted to play with the most! Over the years I had made lots of products from hats to jewelry to upcycled tshirt clothing and screenprinting. Lasercutting definitely focused my work and allows me to create things that are inspired by what I love. It’s a fun process and I love working on my own pieces as well as custom work that I love helping bring to life. In 2012, I funded my own laser through a Kickstarter as I no longer had access to the machine I originally cut on. Having my own machine has allowed me to interact more with the pieces I create and has helped develop collections like my cross stitch kits and really tap into the creative process of laser cutting.
- What has been one of your favorite projects to work on? Custom work is tons of fun, but I love being inspired by the world around me and being able to immediately make that a reality sometimes is very rewarding. Plus lasers, PEW PEW PEW!.
- What else can you tell us about yourself?
When not making lasercut things, I enjoy spending time with my husband and pets. We love watching sci fi shows together and working on projects or cooking together. I love to volunteer for projects locally that help uplift artists in the community.
- So this year’s Geek Gala is about space travel – if you could join any TV/Movie space crew – who would it be and why? Oh, hands down Enterprise NCC1701-D with Picard. I’d want to be friends with Data (and Spot) and go on adventures with Crusher and Troi. Docking at Deep Space Nine to see with Worf and Dax. Hanging out at Risa. Like you do.
- Check out their website at: www.avantgarland.com
And make plans to come visit them on Saturday, October 22nd at this year’s Geek Gala!